Thursday, October 3, 2013

Literature Analysis #2

Topic and Events
1. [a] The Winter at Valley Forge by F. Van Wyck Mason is about the cruel, horrible experience that George Washington and his Continental army experienced at Valley Forge. It tells of the battles leading into Valley Forge and the physical and mental battles each soldier faced. Some of the men in this story consist of George Washington (Commander-in-Chief), Sir William Howe (British General), and many other soldiers. The book teaches you about history while you live the lives the two armies faced.[b] Mainly the story goes with leading battles to Valley Forge and then the hardships that Valley forge brought and the spirit that the men that survive it had.
2. The reason I that the author chose to write about this people and event is because he is an American novelist. I believe that he was patriotic because he talks about the British with sarcasm and repetitively shows how great america's strength is. He likes writing about great heroes who endure hardships and come out on top at the end.
3. The reason I chose to read this book was because this is the type of non-fiction I like to read. I like reading about special events and the people that it involves. I also like reading inspirational stories because it shows how much other people struggle, and makes you realize how easy your own life is.
4. The relationship that I can make to my life is learning about this event in school. It was one of those topics where you just hear about that event and don't go into detail. I see how we wouldn't discuss about this topic a lot, it's because the school tries to teach us the whole war in a certain amount of time.


People
1. In my book non of the characters where made up. The author wrote about this book because of how he felt toward his country. In one part of the book he talks about a traitor that he felt was not  a person worth mentioning his name. This part made me think that meeting him would be like meeting a person from the army and see how patriotic he is. Throughout the book his tone was serious but hopeful.
2. Three characters I would write about is George Washington, Sir William Howe, and Frederick William Von Steuben. George Washington was the Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, he was admired by most and had a walking stick witch he used during the revolution. Sir William Howe was the British general, he was very good in war as well as his army, he was also good for making his troops get ready for battle really fast. Frederick William Von Steuben was a disciplinarian for the body guards of George Washington. He was the best army trainer at the time and also could teach a soldier so good that they could teach other.
3. I feel that this three symbolize what the war was like in the book. George Washington was the leader of the war, Frederick William Von Steuben was the trainer that help our soldiers win the war, and Sir William Howe was the opposing force in the battle.

MORE ON CHARACTER/PEOPLE
1. Direct Characterization - "Von Steuben was a harsh task master, but he made soldiers."
Indirect Characterization - "A thousand thanks, Madam, the general said,smiling wearily, but until my men have their shelters built, I'll live in my tent. I should not be no warmer than they.". I think that he uses both so we could know the character in the authors view but also in ours. It makes me see this characters as great men that they were because of their actions and words.
2. I think he did use syntax when talking about the British then changes when talking about America. For example, "They ate red beef and juicy pork, and their winter quarters were warm." In this quote it talks about the British and the lavish life they were having while America was struggling in Valley Forge to survive.
3. The main character was probably George Washington and I think he was a round static protagonist. He was from the beginning a strong, persisting, and devoted leader and he stayed the same to the end. He was describe a lot and showed what kind of person he was.
4. I feel that I did meet someone. I feel that I know now what kinds of hardships all these men went through and it makes me grateful and happy that we live in this beatiful country that those men sacrifice so much for.

No comments:

Post a Comment