Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cal Poly SLO: Architecture

Last week on Wednesday April 16, a few students that were interested in architecture/engineering and I were invited from Dr.Preston to join an Architecture class at Cal poly SLO taught by Mark Cabrinha . Just arriving there was fun because we had no idea where exactly we needed to be. We walked all around campus asking several people for help and when we finally got there, we were 30 or more mins late. We started by talking about what we, from Righetti, do in school and specifically Dr. Preston's class. Something interesting from that class was their table. They had a white table in the middle of the class were they could write anything down and erase it later. Something interesting from the students was how they saw that classroom like another home because they spent many hours there working. No Offense, but I think it was more exciting when Dr. Preston had to leave because of his daughter. We had a "potluck" right after and Mark told us to split into groups where a group had one person from Righetti to talk to. The group's assignment was to brainstorm a high school that kids actually wanted to be at. I was in a group with four other people, all girls, and they were very intelligent, I'm sorry I can't remember their name.
Anyway, We started by talking about what I see would make a perfect high school. I told them that in order to know what would make students and teachers want to stay in school was the way they think and interact. We talked about the social barriers in school and how most people don't notice the other side of campus. All this led to an off topic conversation about life and they actually made me think over my major, I don't know I thing they might just have changed my future. One of the last things we did was present are discussions to the rest of the class and received feedback from Mark. We wrote our contacts on their table and then left. I think this was the closest I've been to my dream Job that I don't know what it is yet. Overall the people their were extremely generous and intelligent, they are a great family and I can't wait to talk to them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment