Tuesday, November 5, 2013

7 Times

In Erica's blog post, she discusses her position in the the event that took place on October 22nd about a thirteen year old boy who was carrying a fake, but realistic looking gun and was shot by police officers. Erica explains what happened that day and questions whether the police's action were justified. In her post, she repeatably states "7 times", the amount of times the police shot the thirteen year old boy. She wonders if that was necessary and why it was done. One bullet is enough to stop a threat, two is enough to kill, three, four, five, six, seven are unjustifiable. One of the conclusions she came to was racial discrimination. Since Erica comes from a Hispanic background she can't help but wonder if the police shot him 7 times because he was of Hispanic/Latino background. In her post she quickly explains that she must put racial discrimination aside and realize that he was a human being like the rest of us.

Erica's essay was very well written and thought out. She states her facts and the sites of where they come from. She has a strong serious tone throughout the blog post and use many punctuation marks to states which parts have more feeling. Javi also wrote about this event and he states more facts than Erica's. I think the main difference between Erica's and Javi's is that Erica was more emotion based and Javi's was more debatable.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I had to shake off the bias in me and look at the case in for how it was; just a case. Throughout the post I end up giving in to my emotion, but I'd like to think that I put on a good fight. After all the main point was that Andy was a human being just like you and I. Javi and I do have some similarities and differences towards this case, and that is great. That is the beauty of learning. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete